Monday, January 17, 2011

Black Monday

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I was never really sure why they didn't just call it civil rights day, as that is more what it is about. Regardless of the occasion, Kevin is home alone today. I hate when he is home and I am at work. I'm so jealous. :)

I went to my friend Megan's bridal shower on Saturday afternoon. I watched her open up her gifts while reminiscing about my wedding. I can't believe it's been 2 and a half years already. That's the longest I've ever been married!

After the shower, I headed out to my sister Stephenie's house. I so love my sisters! They are endless entertainment for me. I realized I must not laugh as much these days because my face was in pain from laughing so hard. I also learned a lot about my past. I thought this was appropriate considering my new year plan to engage.

I met with a family a couple of weeks ago whom I will start working with this Saturday. They have a little boy who has autism and are part of a program designed to help them at a young age learn to function at a more "normal" (ugh, what a horrible term) level. I'm so excited, they are such nice people! They also have a little girl who is the sweetest thing - nose picking and all.

I recently received a letter back from my brother. It was really great to hear from him. I look forward to getting to know more about him and his life. My dad and I have also recently been in contact with each other. I am going to visit with him next month while in Idaho. I think we have a lot to talk about.

Although I have not visited any of my neighbors yet, I have been making some plans on my acts of service I want to do for them.It's always easier to socialize with people when it's warm outside, so I think I'm going to offer to help with some spring weeding/planting. Of course, I'll be working on my own as well, but that seems like a good project, one which I enjoy.

I'm hosting a bachelorette party for Megan this weekend. Since she is somewhat conservative, it's been difficult coming up with a game plan that will entertain yet not offend. Male strippers, in my opinion, are gross. I decided to hire a female dance instructor instead who will come over and teach US a naughty dance. I envision it will be similar to the slumber party/girls in underwear/pillow fight cliche you hear about. But, everyone will be fully clothed and not really fighting with pillows. I also created a few games which I hope will be fun. I've never really been to a bachelorette party, let alone hosted one, so this should be interesting. If appropriate, I'll post some pictures on my next entry.

1 comment:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Isn't fast how time flies?! Crazy crazy...