Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Another Memory to Share for Generations

I had to share this story on our blog, because not everyone has access to our family website. So without further delay, I give you The Tailor Story:

On Monday, I went to the tailor to have my dress hemmed because it is/was about 5 inches too long. So to give you a visual: I was standing on the little raised platform they have in wedding shops, the one surrounded by mirrors so you can see how your bum looks in your dress... The lady is busy pinning away at the bottom of my dress. I am trying to stand tall and super still so she can get the right length all the way around, and I don't end up with a trailer hem. I realized about 20 minutes into it that I had been locking my knees pretty much the whole time. My legs started to feel all tingly, so I tried to bend my knees to get my circulation going again. Unfortunately, it was too late. I immediately saw the little stars, things went black, and I face planted right into the mirror in front of me. Right about the time that my body was shlumping down into a mass of unconsciousness, 3 ladies walked into the store to pick up their dresses. I was still blacked out, but could hear the voices saying things like, "Oh, should we call an ambulance?" and "Is she ok?? What happened?" When I did finally start to regain my vision and use of limbs, I realized I had fallen on the seamstresses pincushon, which meant my arm was totally punctured by small pins and needles. These 3 ladies drug me over to the chairs on the other side of the shop by my arms, and sat me up with my legs propped. Then, they started fanning me with numerous bridal magazines, coming within inches of my face, asking if I was ok. The shop owner brought me a water and proceeded to tell me that young girls often "fall off" the podium. I was still in and out of reality, but had the notion to stand up and ask if there was a bathroom in the building, thinking I'd try splashing some cold water on my face to snap me out of it. One of the three ladies told me she didn't think there was. I then panicked, because I realized I didn't just want a bathroom now, but I needed one. I immediately ran out the front door of the shop, and proceeded to barf all over the front entrance to this place. One couple saw me from the parking lot and just said, "eeeeeeweeee", and an older gentleman kind of stopped for a second, but then kept walking. Not that I blame him. One of the 3 women inside came out and was patting me on the back telling me that it would be ok. How humiliating. But, to top this all off, I was so concerned that I was going to puke on my dress that I held it up and exposed my undies to half of Midvale. It kind of brought new meaning to the phrase "strip mall".

Anyway, after about 15 minutes, I was able to get back up on my podium and finish the pinning. I have to go back on Wednesday to ensure she got the right height for my shoes, and I think I'll bring a bucket and mop, just to clean up my "mess".

No comments: