Kevin and I have been going through the in vitro process now for about 6 weeks. Yesterday, we had the surgery to extract my eggs and some of Kevin's spermies. Poor guy.
The process has been less than pleasant. At least weekly visits to the doctor, shots every day, vaginal ultrasounds...not exactly how I saw myself having children. But, we've made it this far, and the process is more than half over. We'll have the embryo implanted in just a few days, then we wait two weeks to find out if it was successful or not.
We have pretty good odds, about 70% chance, but there's still that ominous 30% that's pretty scary. So far, the doctors don't think there's any reason it won't take. I'm young and healthy. We're keeping our fingers, toes and eyes crossed.
Because of the surgery, Kevin and I are staying home the rest of the week. I'm glad. Being at work would be more than painful at a time like this. I also get to spend some R&R time with my lovely which is very cool. Last night, we watched The Godfather Part I. I think we'll watch Part II today sometime, and possibly Part III tomorrow. It's a Godfather kind of week!
My mom just celebrated her 55th birthday in August. Jennifer and I drove up the night of her birthday to surprise her. We stopped at Wal Mart and got some decorations and a cake, then snuck into the house late at night and decorated like crazy. It was one of the most stressful situations I've ever been in. Her bedroom door was open and normally, she's a very light sleeper. We were trying to hang streamers, blow up balloons and otherwise make a mess out of the house, all while keeping the decibel level to that of a small mouse. The morning came, and she was shocked! She thought Chad had done it the night before, even though she thought it looked like something "her daughters" would do. :) Then Chad finally had to come clean that it was us, so she discovered we had spent the night and were sleeping downstairs. She came down to take some pictures (trying to be at the mouse decibel level herself), but we were already awake and faking our slumber. We jumped out of bed and yelled "surprise!" and saw her beaming, smiling face. By far one of by best memories.
She had to work that day, but when she came home that afternoon, we had a great day together. It's not often in life you get to see true happiness, but I know our mom felt it that day. I know she felt it was an answer to her prayers because she had been having such a hard time and had been feeling so lonely. The feeling was mutual. I love to see my family happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment